Admire the most beautiful places of Mantova and add them to your basket. YAMGU will create your trip considering distances, opening hours and weather.
Te Palace in Mantua is the work of Giulio Romano, who devised it in 1525 commissioned by the Marquis Federico II Gonzaga, who used it for his entertainment. He did dwell lover "official" Isabella Boschetti. Palazzo Te or "Palace of the glossy deceit" stood at the center of an island rich in woods and surrounded by the waters of a lake, now dried up: mysterious, full of symbols and myths that stand in the halls also beautifully frescoed by Giulio Romano himself, as the famous Hall of Giants, with the episode that takes the myth of the Giants, the Giants fight against Jupiter
The Castle of Saint George is one of the most representative monuments of the city of Mantua and part of the Palace of Gonzaga.
Built on the ruins of the Church of Santa Maria di Capo di Bove from all completed in 1406 commissioned by Francesco I Gonzaga and designed by Bartolino da Novara, St George's Castle is a square building consisting of four corner towers and surrounded by a moat with three doors and drawbridges, which aims to defend the city.
St. Peter's Cathedral, the Duomo, the current Romanesque with Gothic additions, was constructed between 1395 and il1401 after a fire, centuries before, had destroyed a previous Paleochristian Temple. It was reconstructed in 1545 by Giulio Romano, who left intact the façade but modified the shapes, inspired by early Christian basilicas. The current façade, in Carrara marble, dates from 1761. The side features Gothic inserts as rosettes, cusps and pinnacles, remains of the old façade. Inside you can admire the coffered ceiling above the aisles: the main one is adorned with statues of prophets an
The Ducal Palace in Mantua is one of the main attractions, to see one of the most beautiful buildings in the city. Since 1308 has been the official residence of the lords of Mantua, the Bonacolsi, and then the main residence of the Gonzaga rulers, Marquis and finally dukes city Virgil., Palazzo Ducale, be located in the north-east and extends between the banks of the Lower Lake and Piazza Sordello, the ancient St. Peter's Square. The Gonzaga family (lords, Marquis and finally dukes of Mantua) makes his residence from 1328 to 1707, when the last duke, Ferdinando Carlo, was forced into exile
Designed by Leon Battista Alberti, was built from 1472 328 years later ended with the construction of the dome designed by Filippo Juvarra. In the crypt is kept within the sacred vessels the relic of the precious blood of Christ brought to Mantua by the Roman centurion Longinus. In one of the chapels houses the tomb of Andrea Mantegna, surmounted by bronze effigy of the Gonzaga court painter.
Is the city's oldest church, built in the 11th century during the rule of Canossa. Central rotonda, Rotonda di San Lorenzo is placed at a lower level of Piazza delle Erbe and preserves a matroneum and traces of frescoes of Byzantine school dating back to the XI-XII centuries. Over the centuries underwent radical transformations; Deconsecrated, became so that inventory at the beginning of the twentieth century was incorporated into buildings after its construction. Expropriated in 1908, the rotonda di San Lorenzo was restored and reopened in 1911 and finally returned to its original religious i
He began to take shape when the town hall, near the end of the twelfth century, began to expand beyond the Voltone St. Peter, over the ancient Roman city that insisted in places then built the current Piazza Sordello.
Spacious grounds dirt on the eastern side of the Monastery of St. Andrew, was intended to ensure that cattle market is held the cattle market. Transferred the latter in place more peripheral, the space behind the street of St. Andrew, now Via Broletto, which already had been built shops leased to merchants, was divided in two by the Palazzo del Podesta (also called Palazzo Bro