Admire the most beautiful places of Pavia and add them to your basket. YAMGU will create your trip considering distances, opening hours and weather.
The Visconti Castle, or Castello Visconteo, was built by Galeazzo Visconti between 1360 and 1365. Visitors pass through rooms still have fine frescos from the period of the Visconti and Sforza. The north wing is now missing. This was once Duke’s residence, facing the parkland, Parco Visconteo, and linking with the Certosa (Charterhouse). However, the harmony of the Castle - one of the great examples of Late Gothic Lombard architecture - is intact.
After the Second World War, the Castle is the location of the City Museums of Pavia. The Museums include the following collections: the Ar
Santa Maria del Carmine is one of the largest churches in Pavia and is one of the most beautiful examples of Lombard Gothic architecture. It was begun in 1374 by Gian Galeazzo Visconti on a project attributed to Bernardo da Venezia. Its construction continued slowly, was revived in 1432 and completed only in 1461. Restored between 2006 and 2010.
The Pavia Cathedral, dedicated to Saint Stephen the martyr and St. Mary of the assumption is the most imposing church of Pavia and an important Renaissance building, synthesis of Central plan which anticipates the longitudinal and typological research around St. Peter's basilica in Rome. It has a magnificent octagonal cupola masonry, among the largest in Italiaper height and width; Considering also the Lantern, is the fifth highest after the Mole Antonelliana of Turin, San Gaudenzio in Novara, Santa Maria del Fiore in Florence and the Duomo di Milano, the sixth if you consider St. Peter in the
The covered bridge (also known as old bridge) is a bridge over the fiumeTicino in Pavia, which connects the historic city and the rest of the city (located on the left bank of the Ticino), with the picturesque district, originally outside the city walls, city of devices Borgo Ticino. The bridge is very characteristic, has five arches and is completely covered with two doorways at the ends and a small religious chapel at the Center.
The Pavia District beyond from the covered bridge, on the right bank of the Ticino, is called Borgo Ticino. The most characteristic part of the neighborhood is located on the bottom of the river embankment; It can be reached, after crossing the bridge from the old town, turning left onto via Milazzo. Immediately after the bridge there is a bronze monument: a statue depicting a washerwoman, one of the women who in centuries past mopped the role of citizens in Ticino. Later low houses are characteristics of Low Village (Burg-à-bass in dialect pavese), subject to sporadic flooding at the river fl
Basilica of San Michele Maggiore, is the most famous and important medieval religious monument of the city. Masterpiece of Lombard Romanesque style, the Church collects numerous testimonies of the period when Pavia was the capital of the Kingdom of Italy.
The present building began in the first quarter of the 12th century (in which the crypt, the choir and transepts), probably as a result of the earthquake of 1117 and was probably completed around 1155.
San Pietro in Ciel d'Oro, whose origins are to be found at the beginning of the 7th century by the monks of San Colombano. Rebuilt after the great earthquake of 1117, the modern building was consecrated in 1132.
The exterior is decorated with majolica tiles inside, murata the last pillar of the right aisle is the tomb of the Lombard king Liutprand. Also in the Church are preserved the relics of Sant ' Agostino, brought here by Liutprand from Sardinia. The relics of the Saint are preserved in the famous Ark of St. Augustine, whose marble mole is visible on the high altar.