The Abbey of Santo Spirito at Malu, recently restored, is located just five kilometers from the town of Sulmona. The first nucleus of the Abbey, commonly called Badia Morronese, arose in the second half of the 13th century by Pietro Angelerio from Isernia, the future Pope Celestine V. Home of the Abbot General of the order of Celestine, was enlarged and renovated several times over the centuries and heavily damaged by the catastrophic earthquake of 1706. Restored in current forms, with the Suppression of monastic communities, the Abbey had different destinations: used first in three College of
San Panfilo Cathedral, built on the ruins of a pagan temple, was restored by order of the bishop Trasmondo in 1075; after an earthquake in 1706 a new Baroque building replaced the previous Romanic one, of which nevertheless the three apses and a portal on the right side remained.
A projecting cornice divides in two parts the façade, which ends in a horizontal coping and contains the ribbed-vaulted belfry. The Medieval portal carried out by Nicola Salvitti and a lunette representing Christ's Deposition are remains of the former building.
The plan extends lengthwise and consists of a nave an
The Church of Santissima Annunziata looks over Corso Ovidio, the main avenue of Sulmona: the church was founded in 1302 but there are no traces of its primary structure, destroyed by earthquakes in 1456 and 1706.
The façade was re-built from the start by the carver Norberto Ciccio from Pescocostanzo in the eighteenth century; it consists of two levels and two couples of twin columns divide it vertically in three parts. A curvilinear interrupted tympanum and volutes conclude the upper part of the façade.
The architect Pietro Fantoni from Bergamo, entrusted with the restoration of the
Near the homonymous town gate there is the church of Santa Maria della Tomba, built in the XII century and restored several times. Its façade has the horizontal coping that is typical of the Romanic style in the Abruzzi and is divided in two parts by a cornice, which separates the portal from the rose-window, both dating to the fifteenth century. On the right side of the church there is the building of the ancient hospital. It was erected in 1424 and preserves the original façade with a mullioned window with two lights, while the belfry was added in 1579.
The hermitage of Sant'Onofrio was enlarged by order of Pietro from Morrone in the last decade of the XIII century; here the monk lived a hermit's life from the 1293 to the beginning of 1294, when he ascended the papal throne with the name of Celestin V.
The hermitage consists of three storeys: on the ground floor there is a porch with a wood ceiling and frescoes of the XV century; on the first floor there are the oratory and the cells of Pietro from Morrone and Roberto from Salle; the second floor is a terrace overlooking the Peligna Valley.
The popular costume Museum of Abruzzo-Molise and transhumance is hosted in the sala del Campanile Sanissima complex Annunziata and exposes a set of watercolors and prints of typical Abruzzo and Molise costumes ranging from 1790 to 1861, and a collection of clothes and objects of pastoral life.
The musei civici di Sulmona are housed in the complex of the Santissima Annunziata, one of the most important buildings of the city, founded in 1320 as orphanage and hospital for the sick.
The Museum is divided into four sections: Archaeology, medieval-modern, the room of the domus romana and the popular costume Museum of Abruzzo-Molise and of transhumance. The medieval-modern section is located in five rooms on the first floor that contain sculptures, paintings, and Goldsmith's art from the 12th to the 18th century.