The monastery of Sant'Angelo in Ocre rises on a rocky spur of Monte Circolo, in the surroundings of the Ocre's castle and of the hermitage of Santo Spirito. The date of foundation is uncertain: the earliest settlement seems to date back to the XIII century; in 1409 a community of nouns settled in the monastery, but it did not stay there for long, since in 1480 Sixtus IV suppressed it and replaced it with Franciscan Friars of the Regular Observance. The plan of the building follows the unevenness of the ground: the church and the monastery, which the Franciscans restored during the XVII and XVI
Outlying village of Pretola The monastery of Santo Spirito is the only extant example of Cistercian fortified architecture in the Abruzzi; it was founded by the hermit Placito from Roio who settled in a cave on Monte Circolo and in a short time received by the Counts of Ocre a donation intended for the building of a monastery in the surroundings of Pretola, near-by his former hermitage.
The earliest nucleus of the monastery was built in 1222 and in 1248, when Placido from Roio died, Santo Spirito passed under the jurisdiction of the abbey of Casanova (Civitella Casanova, Pescara), the mos
The Civic Museum acquired by the municipality of Lanciano is located within the complex of the former monastery of Santo Spirito. The most intense period for the monastery, was the one between the 14th and 15th centuries but in time there was a gradual abandonment until the suppression. From 1789 to 1911 the complex was given rent and up to 50 's was used as a factory for the grit tiles and cement.