Admire the most beautiful places of Otranto and add them to your basket. YAMGU will create your trip considering distances, opening hours and weather.
The old town of Otranto is the historic symbol of the city and at the same time the commercial and entertainment heart of the evening.
The village is made up of alleys, streets and shops. The walk starts at Porta Terra and ends at Porta a Mare, near the Castello Aragonese.
All major historical monuments and meeting places are centralized here. The Annunciation Cathedral, known for its wonderful mosaic floor of monaco Pantaleone, Corso Garibaldi, full of shops and cafes. On the sea the imposing bastion of the Pelasgians, with the beautiful view over the whole Port of Otranto, and continui
The aragonese plant was designed by Ciro Ciri and with the participation of Francesco di Giorgio Martini and built between 1485 and 1498, by King Ferdinand I of Aragon, incorporating the Swabian fortifications and improvements introduced by the Turks who occupied the city for more than a year (1480).
Surrounded by a moat, presents and irregular pentagonal plan, three angular and cylindrical towers, sea side, a sharpened tool added bastion with bulwarks outsides in 1578; on the rampart are the coats of arms of Antonio De Mendoza and Don Pedro from Toledo.
At the entrance stands the great coat of
Otranto Cathedral or the Cathedral of Santa Maria Annunziata (Saint Mary of the Annunciation) is the most important Christian church in the Italian city of Otranto and is the seat of the Archdiocese of Otranto. It was consecrated in 1088. It is 54 metres long by 25 metres wide. It is built on 42 monolithic granite and marble columns from unknown quarries. Its plan is a three-aisled nave with an apsidal east end. On either side of the west facade are two lancet windows.
St. Peter's church is a Byzantine church located in the historic center of Otranto in the province of Lecce.
It is one of the medieval buildings of the most representative of the South Byzantine building tradition and remains the highest and most vivid expression of Byzantine art in Puglia. The church represented, probably, the first basilica in the city, elected in 968 cities and reports directly to the Patriarchal See of Constantinople. Its dating has long been a subject of debate among scholars, but the analysis of the structure, frescoes and inscriptions in Greek, seems a
The Church of Santa Maria dei Martiri is a church in Otranto. It stands on the Hill of Minerva, the scene of the martyrdom of eight hundred inhabitants took place on 14 August 1480.
The building was rebuilt in 1614 to replace the existing one built by Alfonso of Aragon, in memory of the massacre that took place. It is adjacent to the convent of the minims, dating back to 1542.
On 14 September 1480, three days after occupying the city, Gedik Ahmet Pasha, Commander of the Turkish fleet, ordered that they be conducted on male residents aged over 15 years. The prisoners Ahmet proposed to
The Promenade of Heroes is an integral part of the ancient town of Otranto. It is a beautiful scenic walk on the waterfront, easy to do after wandering through the streets and the shops of the village. We advise you to walk the Promenade of Heroes to photograph a romantic sunset.
La Torre Alfonsina ranks at Porta Terra, the oldest entrance to the old city of the Martyrs. Its realization is due to Alfonso of Aragon, the great liberator of the Turkish occupation city in 1481. The entrance hallway is defended by four "saettiere" overhanging placed on the vault. At the base you can see two inscriptions bearing the name of the tower and a motto which reads SIT FORTITUDO VIRGO MATER MEA (May the Virgin Mother being my fortress).
The great defense system of walls otrantine has been the subject, over the centuries, of many changes. A first plant had to be present al
The baia dei Turchi, a few kilometres north of Otranto, is the place where, according to tradition, landed the Warriors during the Turkish siege of the city of Otranto from the 15th century (battle of Otranto).
Sandy and pristine, the Bay belongs to valuable protected area of the Alimini Lakes, one of the most important ecosystems of Salento and Puglia.
The baia dei Turchi and the Alimini lakes are classified as a site of Community importance (SCI).
In January 2007 the Italian Environment Fund (FAI) has entered the Bay of Turks among the top 100