Admire the most beautiful places of Assisi and add them to your basket. YAMGU will create your trip considering distances, opening hours and weather.
After the death of St Francis in 1226 and following his canonization, Pope Gregory IX laid down a foundation stone on the land where a “specialis ecclesia”—a special church—would be raised. Dedicated to St Francis, the Basilica of San Francesco was consecrated in 1253 by Pope Innocent IV. There are two bodies of construction—the lower church “inferiore” and the upper church “superiore”—built one on top of the other. The two churches correspond respectively to two different construction phases, in which elements of the Umbrian Romanesque and a language influenced by the French Gothic collimate.
Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli The Basilica di Santa Maria degli Angeli was built between 1569 and 1679, its walls enclose the Franciscan Convent structure built behind the Porziuncola—in Latin Portiuncula. Pope Pius V, at the end of the Council of Trent, commissioned the construction of the Basilica, both for the recognition of the importance assumed by the Franciscan minor order and to host the pilgrims that then, and still now, continue to flock there for the occasion of the Indulgence and Pardon—31st July-2 August—desired by St Francis himself. The church was complet
St Francis Woods The Bosco di San Francesco in Assisi is a splendid example of rural Italian landscape, which has 64 hectares and more than 800 years of history. It represents a real and true interior journey to discover the message of the perfect harmony between Man and the Creation that St Francis taught to the world. Visitors can cover the distance of the narrow path that, departing from the San Francesco Basilica and passing the Selva di San Francesco—owned by the Papal Basilica, Sacro Convento di San Francesco d’Assisi—goes through woodlands and cultivated fields, and crosses glades
Archaeological Museum and Roman Forum The Museo Archeologico e Foro Romano is located in the most central area of Assisi, the museum site extends under the current Piazza del Comune, which is the city’s focal point from where—still today—the Minerva Roman Temple dominates, and on which the facades of the most important medieval buildings of the town overlook. The archaeological area corresponds to the so-called Central Terrace, one of the monumental platforms realized in the 2nd century BC, in the context of the planning of the Roman town of Asisium. The terrace that for the ce
“Pro Civitate Christiana” Gallery of Contemporary Art The Galleria d’arte contemporanea Pro Civitate Christiana is located right in the historical center of the town of Assisi, in Borgo San Pietro, a few minutes walking distance from Piazza del Comune and the Basilicas of San Francesco and Santa Chiara. Reopened to the public in 2005, the Gallery is hosted by the Pro Civitate Cristiana, an association of laics founded in 1939 by Father Giovanni Rossi. Its purpose was that of promoting catholic culture in contemporary society. The first nucleus of the collection exhibits the wor
Ecological Laboratory of Geo-paleontology The exhibition is held in Mt Subasio Park, in the premises and under the care of the Laboratorio Ecologico di Geo-paleontologia del Parco di Monte Subasio. The exhibition displays the territory’s geological and paleontological heritage in the more general context of the geological time scale and the principles of fossilization. The Exhibition is arranged in three rooms: in the first room, the themes of fossil formation and of the evolution of the Geological Eras are illustrated; in the second room, rocks and fossils typical of the Mt Su
Permanent Exhibition of Ancient Crafts and Rural Life Born from the passion of the Fortini family for collecting ancient objects—crafts of every kind—the Mostra permanente degli antichi mestieri e della civiltà contadina exhibition features more than three thousand pieces related to the local rural environment. The Museum gathers together objects and tools that are regrouped into thematic sections by typology and destination of use, and that reconstruct aspects of the rural and artisanal world. Through this collection of objects it is possible to revisit the blacksmith, the carpente
MUMA, Missionary Museum The Museo Missionario Indios, of the Capuchin Friars of Umbria in the Amazon, was conceived of by Father Luciano Matarazzi starting in 1973, when he constituted it with the items donated to him by the Missionaries from the Alto Solimões region in Brazil. Currently, the MUMA is an entirely interactive multimedia missionary museum. It is a Historic-Ethnographic-Scientific and Missionary Museum that allows deepening the knowledge, at multiple levels, of the Alto Solimões region, the Flora and Fauna, the Ticuna Indios Nation, the Brazilian multicolored world and