Admire the most beautiful places of Spello and add them to your basket. YAMGU will create your trip considering distances, opening hours and weather.
Collegiata of Santa Maria Maggiore Although founded in the 11th and 12th centuries, the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore shows a façade—realized on the occasion of the enlargement of the edifice—that dates back to 1644. It is worth noting the entrance doorjambs with their acanthus vine frieze, the work of stonemasons active in the 12th and 13th centuries between Foligno and Bevagna and, in part, attributed to some masters from Spoleto. The church floor plan has the shape of a Latin cross and has a cross-vaulted nave. In the second half of the 17th century, seven altars and a rich plaster—stucco—
Emilio Greco Permanent Collection The Mostra Permanente Emilio Greco was created to pay tribute to the artist, on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the first exhibition in Spello. The artist was the protagonist of the “Incontri per le strade” display in 1983 and was made Honorary Citizen of Spello in 1985. As a consequence of these events the artist donated a conspicuous selection of works to the municipality. The collection is subdivided into three rooms and the works are displayed in chronological order, from the graphic to the lithographic ones, etchings, sketches and a selection of b
Villa Sant’Anna Mosaics In July 2005, the remains of a monumental complex of large dimensions were found just right outside Spoleto’s walls. Further archaeological investigations have led to the identification of seven rooms, probably part of the central body of a Roman Villa or of a public building in the Late Imperial Age. The first room preserves almost completely intact its three-color—white, pink and black—Mosaic Floor with a geometrical pattern. In the second room the polychrome mosaic floor is still preserved along with remnants of the frescoed walls. The decoration of the almost 140
Civic Art Gallery The Pinacoteca Civica is in the historical city center of Spello, in Piazza Matteotti. The Gallery has been housed in the Palazzo dei Canonici since 1994; this palace is a 16th century building adjacent to the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore. A visit to the Museum will put the visitor in contact with the town’s history through its precious evidence. The collection was put together in 1916, when the Prior of the Collegiata of Santa Maria Maggiore reunited the first group of works selected from the most significant that had been collected in Santa Maria Maggiore and the various
Subasio Theater The Teatro Subasio is in the historical center of Spello, not far from the remnants of the Arco Augusto. It is an elegant construction in Neoclassical style, built in 1787 on a design of Alessio Lorenzini, characterized by a horseshoe-shaped floor plan with three orders of boxes for a total audience capacity of 200 seats. The interior decoration of both painting and stuccowork is noteworthy and quotes ancient Latin mottoes. The Theater premises had previously been the venue of the members of the Accademia dei Quieti, which later on restored and transformed it into a space for
Villa Fidelia The Villa is located at a short distance from the historical center of Spello, in proximity of the Roman amphitheater and the Romanesque Church of San Claudio. The ancient Roman settlement, on which the Villa stands, is a large sanctuary area, where the so-called Temple of Venus, the Theater and the Thermal Bath are collocated. The early constructions of the Villa were raised, in the 16th century, by the Counts Acuti Urbani of San Lorenzo. In the 18th century the Villa passes to Donna Teresa Pamphili Grillo, who takes cares of transforming and expanding the residence built by the