Ortona
7 4 °

Discover 10 places to see in Ortona

Admire the most beautiful places of Ortona and add them to your basket. YAMGU will create your trip considering distances, opening hours and weather.


TRIP

ARAGONESE CASTLE


The imposing castle, situated on a high promontory overlooking the sea, towers the coast of Ortona. Though the presence of a fortress is documented as from the Angevin age, the building of the present structure started only when the dynasty of Aragon ascended the power, that is in the mid fifteenth century or a short time later. As a consequence of the landing of Venetian plunderers and the subsequent sack in 1447, it was decided to build a new fortress. The castle had functioned for the entire sixteenth century when the port was move to south; therefore it gradually lost its pivotal role and


See details


TRIP

CATHEDRAL OF SAINT THOMAS THE APOSTLE


The cathedral is the town-symbol of Ortona as well as the monument that the bombardment of the Second War World damaged the most: in fact it nearly razed it to the ground. Its present look results from an architectural approach that targeted to retrieve only some aspects of the original structure, selecting accurately what to safe and disregarding the relation between the cathedral and the urban environment. Risen, according to the tradition, over a temple consecrated to Janus, the church dates back as a minimum to the fifth century. Often adjusted and re-built over the centuries, especially a


See details


TRIP

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

The church is situated outside the town walls and today pertains to the cemetery. Its unadorned façade and the arcades ahead reveal that it belonged to the Franciscan Friars Minors, who moved here in the seventeenth century, as the date on the portal (1626) attests. The structure of the church is plain and bare, with three chapels on the left side. Inside it preserves a refined wooden high altar, above which in the past precious canvases overhung. The one in the middles, painted by Giovan Battista Spinelli in the mid seventeenth century, portrays the Virgin's coronation and is today kept insid


See details


TRIP

ST. CATHERINE'S CHURCH

The earliest nucleus of the building can be recognized in the architectural structure of the so called oratory of the Cross, a vaulted hall dated most likely to the XII century. The ancient sacred place takes its name from a fifteenth-century fresco representing a scene of Crucifixion, which is still preserved there, though moved from its Baroque altar in 1991. The Benedictine Sisters, saying their prayers before the picture, saw blood gushing from Christ's chest. They saved the blood in a few cruets which were stolen in 1570, carried to Venice and finally brought back to the town in 1934. Thu


See details


TRIP

CHURCH OF SANTA MARIA DELLE GRAZIE


The settlement of the Observant Friars in this area dates back to the early sixteenth century, after they abandoned a previous site, which had become insalubrious. As well as Saint Thomas Cathedral, this building was seriously damaged by the dramatic events of 1943, which erased the most significant traits of the sixteenth and seventeenth-century adjustments of the church. Among the heaviest losses, there is a fresco carried out by painters from Lombardy, who had added to the church a chapel consecrated to their patron saint Ambrose. Nowadays the most noteworthy art-works are the lunettes of t


See details


TRIP

MUSEO CIVICO D'ARTE CONTEMPORANEA-PINACOTECA CASCELLA

Set in 16th-century palazzo Farnese, the gallery works of fruit preserves family donations Cascella and Giuseppe Massari and sculptors Guido Costanzo. By Michele Cascella preserves one of the most important collections (53 works) documenting over eighty years of activity. The Palace also has a room where are regularly held exhibitions of contemporary art by artists of Abruzzo and not


See details


TRIP

MUSEUM OF THE BATTLE

The Museum documents the dramatic war events of 1943, which earned him the town of Ortona the awarding of the gold medal for civil valor. It was inaugurated on May 6, 2002 with the intervention of the Canadian Ambassador. It is dedicated to the memory of the civilian victims and 1314 many Canadian and German soldiers who fell during the battle of Ortona and wants to be a place of reflection on cruelty and futility of war, sending a message to new generations of peace. Inside are memorabilia, photos, giant and war relics of World War II gathered around the city, including uniforms and personal


See details


TRIP

DIOCESAN MUSEUM

Inaugurated in 1988 and enlarged in 2003, the Capitular Museum is situated in a few rooms adjoining Saint Thomas Cathedral, which used to be in the past private chapels. It collects and exhibits handworks saved from the heavy bombardment that drastically disrupted the town and razed the ancient cathedral to the ground during the Second World War. Among the most important works there are the seventeenth-century canvases painted by Tommaso Alessandrini (born in Ortona but become an adopted son of Venice) and by the Lombard artist Giovanni Battista Rusconi. The museum keeps valuable gold ware suc


See details