Admire the most beautiful places of Catania and add them to your basket. YAMGU will create your trip considering distances, opening hours and weather.
The Cathedral is located in the historical centre of the city, is on the Southeast side of piazza del Duomo. Is dedicated to the Virgin and martyr, patroness of the city of Catania.
The façade has three Corinthian composite orders, and penthouse completely in Carrara marble.
The wooden main door consists of thirty-two, finely carved panels, illustrating episodes from the life and martyrdom of Saint Agatha, coat of arms of several Popes and Bishop Peter Galletti and symbols of Christianity.
Houses the sarcophagi of Royals of Aragon.
At the end of the right aisle is the chapel more dear to all cit
the Museo Biscari, placed inside a wing of the 18th-century Palazzo Biscari, one of the oldest buildings in Catania, precious testimony of Sicilian Baroque, for years has preserved extensive natural and archaeological collections to Ignatius Paternò Castello V Prince of Biscari transferred then to the Museo Civico Castello Ursino in the 1930 's.
Officially inaugurated in 1758, the Museum boasted extensive natural and archaeological collections, like celebrating Goethe in his book "journey to Italy". The Museum now houses the MF "Museum & Fashion" combining culture and fashion in a combinati
It is the main town square. Three roads converge in it — the via Etnea, the historic town, the axis via Giuseppe Garibaldi and via Vittorio Emanuele II.
At the center of the square is the symbol of Catania, which is "u Liotru", a statue depicting a lava stone elephant, topped by an obelisk, in the middle of a marble fountain several times.
The road was recently repaved with cobblestones Etna lava stone, and is now a pedestrian in the stretch that runs from piazza del Duomo ai Quattro Canti. In the part that the Quattro Canti goes up the garden Bellini is instead traveled by public transport and taxis. Is the shopping and one of the busiest streets of the city during the day and at night. In fact there are the surrounding streets a hundred among local restaurants, pubs and pizzerias.
The monastery of San Nicolò L'Arena or cassinese Abbey of St. Nicholas the Arena covers a large area.
An infinite series of scrolls, flowers, fruits, monstrous masks, putti, and nymphs that adorn the exhibitions of Windows and balconies.
The first cloister, to levante, is occupied by a large garden and surrounded by full porches supported by pillars and arches, with a continuous deck above.
The second cloister and cloister of marble, to the West, is the oldest.
Between the two cloisters runs the so-called clock corridor, the longest of the building, combining this wing of the convent, the private
The Museum, housed in the heart of the historical city within the Ursino Castle, an important destination for study by archaeologists, historians and restorers, is the most important Museum of Catania for the vastness and variety of the collection. By the 15th century Byzantine tablets oils on canvas in the 19th century, the museum boasts a rich picture gallery, to which are added many archaeological finds of Hellenistic and Roman times, Greek vases, Roman and Greek coins, portals of the 13th and 15th centuries, engravings, prints, vestments and ornamental art of different periods. The courtya
University square is located in Catania, via Etnea, less than 100 metres from Piazza Duomo, and is one of the most spectacular of the historical centre of Catania. Its existence dates back to 1696 when, on the West side, was built the Palace of the University after the destruction caused by the earthquake of 1693.
The Palace was built to a design by architects including Francis and Antonino battle and Giovanni Battista Vaccarini. On the East side, in front of the building of the University, is the Palazzo San Giuliano built in 1738, Paternò Castello Marchesi di San Giuliano, on the same proje
The façade of the theatre in neo-Baroque style is inspired by the classic Venice library by Sansovino. The rest of the building, however, it detaches the development side, taking the form of theatre.
The room in four tiers of boxes over the Gallery, is of great decorative richness and is one of the most beautiful among those built in the nineteenth century in Italy. The ceiling is frescoed by painter Ernst Bacon with the apotheosis of Bellini with allegories of his major works: Norma, sonnambula, I puritani and the pirate.