Admire the most beautiful places of Messina and add them to your basket. YAMGU will create your trip considering distances, opening hours and weather.
Built between the 12th and 13th centuries under William the good, perhaps the remains of a pre-existing pagan temple dedicated to Neptune, was submitted within the walls of Castellammare.
In it, a magnificent expression of Byzantine art with influences from Sicilian Arabic-Norman, blend beautifully Byzantine styles, Romanesque, Arabic and Norman.
The temple is dedicated to God under the title of our Lady assumed into heaven, otherwise known as "until the 16th century Church of Santa Maria la Nuova".
The façade of the Cathedral is a salient, topped with a Battlement. The lower part is decorated with polychrome horizontal lists in marquetry, while the upper part is all in stone, with three Lancet Windows and a Gothic rose window, enriched by elegant hurdles.
The cathedral organ is the second largest in Italy (the first being that of the duomo di Milano), one of the largest in Europe.
It is the largest
The fountain of Neptune is the second fountain realized in Messina to Giovanni Angelo Montorsoli (Tuscan sculptor and close associate of Michelangelo), after the well-known fontana di Orione.
The God Neptune, as upstart, calm waters and invincible, wields his fearsome Trident keeps chained at his feet the monstrous Scylla and Charybdis; is an allegory of the moral and physical strength of the city that doma adversity.
The fountain of Orion is a monumental fountain created by Messina Frà Giovanni Angelo Montorsoli (1507-1563) disciple of Michelangelo, which dates back to 1553.
It is a work of uncommon beauty, of great significance and a strong emotional impact, commissioned to represent Orion, the mythical founder of Messina.
One of the few examples of architecture with use of iron in South Italy, the only one with Napoli, Galleria Umberto i. built in 1929 by Camillo Puglisi Allegra to complement piazza Antonello. The portico overlooking the square is characterized by a large arch that marks the entrance to the Gallery, richly decorated inside with beautiful stuccoes and a mosaic floor in black and white. Two flights of stairs on one side and a porch on the other, lead to secondary outputs.