The Aufidenate Museum is housed in the Franciscan monastery of la Maddalena to the outskirts of Castel di Sangro. the structure, built in the late 15th century on the site of a hospice for pilgrims, was located along the Via degli Abruzzi, the main commercial artery in the region.
The original core of the Museum, opened in 1898, had 335 archaeological and 130 coins and owes its name to the dispute among archaeologists for the identification of the ancient town of Castel di Sangro. because some of them were proposing the Roman town Aufidena, the antiquarium Museum was called Aufidenate.
The Patini Art Gallery, instituted in 2006, is situated in the fifteenth-century De Petra Palace, better known as the House of the Lion for the lion-shaped statue placed at the entrance of the building. It puts on display canvases by the painter Teofilo Patini, born in Castel di Sangro and of his pupils.