Palermo
N 19 °

Discover 87 places to see in Palermo

Admire the most beautiful places of Palermo and add them to your basket. YAMGU will create your trip considering distances, opening hours and weather.


TRIP

Cathedral

The Metropolitan Cathedral of Palermo is dedicated to the Holy Virgin Mary assumed into heaven, From July 3, 2015 is part of world heritage (Unesco) as part of the "Arab-Norman Route to Palermo, Cefalù and Monreale.

Within the Imperial and Royal Tombs of the Normans, Frederick II with a baldachin with columns made of porphyry and the URN is supported by two pairs of lions, Peter II of Aragon, Constance of Aragon, wife of Frederick II, Constance of Sicily, Roger II's daughter and mother of Frederick II.

A railing and balusters railing protects the space in front of the façade, on the pillars


See details


TRIP

Chiesa della Martorana

The Church of Santa Maria dell'ammiraglio , or parish of San Nicolò dei Greci known as Martorana, belongs to the Eparchy of Piana degli Albanesi and officiates the liturgy according to the Byzantine rite.
From July 3, 2015 is part of world heritage (Unesco) as part of the "Arab-Norman Route to Palermo, Cefalù and Monreale.
The dome mosaic depicting Christ Pantocrator is the focal point of the entire Byzantine mosaic decoration


See details


TRIP

Teatro Massimo Vittorio Emanuele

The teatro massimo of Palermo is the largest Lyric Theater building in Italy, and one of the largest in Europe, thirdly to order of magnitude after the architectural Opéra National de Paris and the Vienna State Opera.
Real authentic monument Greco-Roman style, thus completing the project by the eclectic architect Giovan Battista Filippo Basile.

The monachella

The theatre was built between the bastion of San Vito and the door, knocking down the Church Leaves of the stigmata and the adjoining convent and the Church of San Giuliano; tradition has it that a nun known as the "hook" (the first moth


See details


TRIP

Cappella Palatina

The Palatine Chapel is within the architectural complex of Palazzo dei Normanni. From July 3, 2015 is part of world heritage (Unesco) as part of the "Arab-Norman Route to Palermo, Cefalù and Monreale.

The cupola, transept and the apses are entirely decorated at the top from Byzantine mosaics, among the most important in Sicily depicting Christ pantocrator blessing, greater impact of the Chapel, the evangelists and various biblical scenes.


See details


TRIP

ARCHAEOLOGICAL AREA OF SEA CASTLE

The area formerly occupied by the fortress of Castellamare is now more than half of Keystone Jetty of the port of Palermo. Inside the fortress you can visit two main areas: the so-called Master Tower, surrounded by a buffer zone, and a large archaeological area with a collection of rather heterogeneous buildings. The sea Castle is located in the Archaeological Park of Castellammare, near Cala, la Loggia district, North of the port of Palermo. Was the most important defensive bulwark of the port of Palermo until the 20th century. Until 1923 the fortress had a quadrangular wet walls on two sides


See details


TRIP

Church of San Cataldo

The exterior features a compact sandstone masonry softened by carvings of arcades and fretted by Islamic influence. At the top are binding solemn profiles of three red domes (with smooth, hemispherical and raised) in contrast with the happy severa monochrome walls.

The Interior has three naves Court-the central one is punctuated by rhythmic sequence of three-domes separated by columns.


See details


TRIP

CHIOSTRO DI S. GIOVANNI DEGLI EREMITI

Features red domes towering in the sky of Palermo the Church of San Giovanni degli Eremiti refer to architectural typology of mosques. The origins of the building date back to the 6th century; After being turned into a mosque during the Arab domination, was traced by Ruggero II original worship to 1136. A major overhaul was the Church around 1880 by Joseph Patricolo.
The cloister is of Norman age and is very close to the Royal Palace just a few metres away.



See details


TRIP

MONUMENTAL PALAZZO DEI NORMANNI

The main entrance is located in Parliament Square, tourist and Wheeler on independence square, in front of Palazzo d'Orleans, the seat of the Presidency of the Sicilian region.
In addition to the Palatine Chapel, parts of construction attributed to Normans are the Tower of Pisa, home of the treasure room, and the Tower, which houses Gioaria downstairs the Hall of Armigeri and upstairs, the so-called "parliamentary Plan", the Hall of the winds and King Roger's room decorated with mosaics of Byzantine school depicting hunting scenes.
On the second floor of the building are also the room of Hercule


See details