In 1971, as a result of clandestine excavations, was identified and subsequently explored a Roman late Imperial age in Noto (Syracuse), on the right bank of the Tellaro River, from which the name of the villa. It is located on a low soil cant, below a masseria of age seven-nineteenth century. The difficult and long work of exploration lasted for more than two decades, has returned the body of the ancient complex, arranged around a peristyle of about 20 meters per side, surrounded by living areas located on the sides of North and South, while in the East and west sides, the construction of the
The Museum is located in the area of expansion of the city inside the Park of Villa Landolina that extends between le Catacombe di s. Giovanni and those of Vigna Cassia and is rich in archaeological interest (underground Christians, is archaic necropolis, elements of the Hellenistic town of Syracuse) and historical (the non-Catholics cemetery with the grave of the poet August von Platen).
The Museum is a modern establishment opened in 1988 and named after the archaeologist Paolo Orsi (1859-1935), internationally renowned scholar and Director of the Museum for more than thirty years.
Castelluccio di Noto is an archaeological site located in the province of Syracuse, between the towns of Noto and Palazzolo Acreide and which gave its name to the culture of Castelluccio. The site was located by the archaeologist Paolo Orsi who dated between 19TH and 15th century BC and the early Bronze age Sicily. Scholars have identified the plan of the town, located on a rocky outcrop, a sort of fortified acropolis and the necropolis. The necropolis consists of over 200 grotticella tombs excavated in artificial steep walls of nearby quarry of Mrs. The largest is the so-called "Tomb of Princ