Admire the most beautiful places of Mercogliano and add them to your basket. YAMGU will create your trip considering distances, opening hours and weather.
The Marian monastery on the peaks of Mount Partenio, declared a national monument, is one of the six Italian territorial abbeys. Its construction dates back to the consecration of the first Church in 1126, although the ascent to mount Guglielmo from Vercelli is documented in 1118. The future Saint had chosen that lonely place for his asceticism, but the fame of his virtues ends up attracting many disciples and give rise to a monastic community. In a short time edificatrice activity led to the creation of the first cells for religious and a first church that the profound Marian devotion to Will
The Museum preserves and exhibits objects related to the natural world, science and technology, grouped into sections: Mineralogy (rocks and minerals), topography (surveying instruments from the mid 19th century to the 1970s), history of the topography (working reproductions of instruments for the measurement of soil from Late Antiquity to the Renaissance), computing machines (end XIX – 1970), educational – scientific models (1920 – 1970) , history of design (1950 – 1980 with an extensive documentariaione section.
The library of Montevergine is one of the eleven public libraries State annexed to national monuments. Its origins date back to the founder of the Congregation, Guglielmo from Vercelli, who after giving the new monastic family life on the Summit of Mount Partenio, would ridisceso to travel to Bari where he purchased vestments but especially Greek and Latin manuscripts.
The Palace, on a hill not far from the Abbey of Montevergine but more accessible and convenient service that the populations of erogavano monks and pilgrims, is still home to the Congregation of Virginians monks, who settled there after the previous home 1732 when it was destroyed by an earthquake. The new structure is a wonderful example of Baroque architecture: designed by Domenico Antonio Vaccaro, one of the most respected architects of Naples at the time, was completed by the Neapolitan engineer Michelangelo Di Blasio with some radical changes, such as the demolition of the Tower destined