Admire the most beautiful places of Santa Maria Capua Vetere and add them to your basket. YAMGU will create your trip considering distances, opening hours and weather.
The amphitheatre campano in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, the second largest among those types of monuments in the ancient Italy after the Colosseum (m 165 on the major axis, m 135 on that minor at the level of the arena), was built between the late 1st and early 2nd century AD in place of smaller arena dating back to graccana age, whose remains were found in the South-East. His story an inscription informs building dedicated by Antoninus Pius, partly preserved at the Museo Provinciale Campano, in which mention is made of the restoration of the colonnade and the new sculptural subcontracted by Emp
The monument, a shrine dedicated to the worship of Mithras, the ancient gods of Persian origin, is one of the rare examples among the shrines with pictorial decoration mitraici. The main hall has a floor in Opus signinum with marble fragments placed and is covered by a barrel vault; the long sides are adjacent in the masons (praesepia) with the inclined plane to the wall with small pools and wells for purifying ablutions, on which sat the initiates to worship during the ceremonies and supporting food and lucerne. On the back wall, above the altar, painted a fresco depicting Mithras slaying t
The establishment of the Archaeological Museum of ancient Capua stems from the need to present, according to the most modern exhibition criteria, the materials released into light during the excavations carried out in the second half of the 20th century in what became the territory of Capua. An archaeological museum in the area already exists since 1874: the Museo Provinciale Campano, housed in the halls of Palazzo Antignano Daoud, staged just after the unification of Italy, like other provincial museums that arose with the establishment of large Museums, the peripheral centres do not lose tr
The Museum was established by Council resolution of 11/8/1870 whose primary purpose is to collect the numerous archeological findings scattered in the territory, came to light in the course of work. In 1911, on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the unification of Italy, were collected the Risorgimento and epic Garibaldi to be sent to Naples to View. These findings became the core of the Museum and for a long time were accommodated in the Garibaldi theatre. From 2003 the Museum heritage collection of the institution has been set up in the former convent of the Alcantarine, a State-owned c
Attached to the amphitheatre is the Gladiator Museum where, with innovative display solutions, were presented for the first time to the public of the surviving elements of decorating the amphitheatre Campano. In the first room on the right wall, were placed three of the keys of arc that decorated the outside of the monument: a male head with Phrygian cap identified with Mithra or Attis, one female with tiara (Juno), a head of Minerva with attic helmet and the cast of the bust of the Volturno, the original of which is kept at the Museum. Below are some honorary inscriptions with dedication to