Admire the most beautiful places of Salerno and add them to your basket. YAMGU will create your trip considering distances, opening hours and weather.
The Arechi Castle is a medieval castle, situated at a height of about 300 metres above sea level, overlooking the city and the Gulf of Salerno. It said Arechi why building this fortification is associated traditionally to the Lombard Duke Arechis II.
The Arechi Castle offers an overview of the city and the Gulf of Salerno and is surrounded by a park with trails immersed in the Mediterranean vegetation.
In the restored area was created a core group of exhibition materials (mostly medieval pottery and coins), a room for exhibitions and a Hall for conferences and congresses.
The Metropolitan Cathedral of Saint Mary of the angels and St Matthew's, was built in Romanesque style in the eleventh century and subsequently amended several times. The Bell Tower is of great historical and artistic value, is an important example of the fusion of Arab-Norman period. On it there are eight large bells.
Salerno is a medieval aqueduct, built by the Lombards in the 9th century, to cater the San Benedetto monastery and, through an underground passage, the convent of Piantanova. Consists of two branches, one from the North and one from the East, who are joined in via Arce continues southwards towards the monastery. Rests on the pointed arches, likely one of the first uses of this type of arch. A stretch of the aqueduct was popularly called "Ponte del Diavolo", as a popular legend has it that the bridge was built with help of demons "by Peter Barliario; superstition also believed that venture unde
The Minerva garden is a botanical garden located in the historic centre of Salerno. In the garden are normally held tours to illustrate the principles of the school of medicine and medicinal plants used in the middle ages and workshops on topics of crafts and botany, organized from time to time by various local associations.
Since 2004, within the premises of Palazzo Callahan, is the tea room, pleasant to visit for a little relaxation and infusions.
Without doubt the Green promenade Lungomare Trieste dearer to Salerno: designed in 1948, was defined by the British in the 1950s, the most beautiful of the Mediterranean seafront. It is a large tree-filled Garden (entirely pedestrian, 30 metres wide and about 1 and a half km) along the Tyrrhenian Sea in the central part of the town, Piazza della Libertà the Marina.
One of the most characteristic and historical centre, communication and commerce since the middle ages, where you can not help but to shop with typical products. It was called Drapparia, because it had the "drapes" shops (traded).
Along the way they get up some churches, among the most significant of Salerno: as Church of the Holy Cross, the Church of Saint Gregory and Saint George's Church. There are also famous palaces such as Palazzo Pinto, seat of the provincial art gallery and Palazzo Carrara. About half of the road is located the ancient "Via Duomo", leading to the Cathedral of Salerno
The Villa comunale di Salerno is the "Garden" of the city. It was designed in 1870 at the entrance to the city from Vietri sul Mare. There is the famous fountain of Tullio.
Tullio's Fountain (also called Snake fountain) is a fountain of Salerno. Created in 1790. The fountain is in Baroque style and together with the almost nearby fountain-fish is considered to be one of the characteristics of the ancient fountains Salerno
Inside the villa there are several statues. The villa comunale is home to various events and exhibitions.
The Church of San Giorgio di Salerno is commonly judged as "the most beautiful baroque church" of the city. The Church is located in via Duomo, just a few hundred metres from the Cathedral.
It was part of a Benedictine monastery, founded in the 9th century, and was restored at the beginning of the 18th century Neapolitan architect Ferdinando Sanfelice.
The Interior has fine mural paintings, among which the wall panels by Angelo Solimena with scenes from the life of St. Benedict on the vault, and the so-called Paradise of Salerno in the dome. The son of Angelo, the more famous Francesco Solim