Admire the most beautiful places of Cesena and add them to your basket. YAMGU will create your trip considering distances, opening hours and weather.
Cesena owes to the Malatesta family also its fortress, one of the most imposing in Romagna, with "Court" and two towers, power plants called male and female. In the latter the agricultural history museum that provides visitors with a view on Romagna countryside in the course of time, while the male is placed the permanent exhibition of ceramics Malatesta.
The Biblioteca Malatestiana di Cesena is a monastic library of particular historical importance. Founded in the mid-15th century, holds two firsts: it was the first public library in Italy and Europe; is the only example of a monastic library humanistic come down to us perfectly preserved the building, furnishings and books.
UNESCO recognised the cultural importance of Malatesta, inserting it first into Italy, in memory of the World Register. On September 19, 2008, Italian Post Office issued a stamp dedicated to the library, on the theme "The Italian artistic and cultural heritage." Today the
Historic-artistic value is also the National Cathedral dedicated to Saint John the Baptist (St John the Baptist Cathedral), in Gothic-Romanesque style and dating from the late 14th century, in which are contained the remains of san Mauro. Inside the Cathedral a small and important painting depicting the Holy Baptist run on copper plate has been recently attributed by researcher Alex Carson to Livio Agresti Mannerist painter. In the Chapel of the Madonna del Popolo there are frescoes by Corrado Giaquinto of 1750.
The fountain Masini is a monumental fountain located in Cesena in piazza del Popolo.
Already the idea of Malatesta Novello smoldered beautify Piazza Maggiore with a fountain, but you had to wait for more than a century for his dream to come true. The design of the fountain was supplied in 1588 by the painter and architect cesenate Francesco Masini, while the hydraulic works had already been designed to start by Tommaso Laureti between 1581 and 1583; between 1586 and 1590, then, the stonemason Domenico da Montevecchio and his aides realized the fountain and in 1591, finally began gushing water
The built in 1401 and was subsequently enlarged in 1466 and 1472. At the behest of the noble Cesena, in 1792, was placed a statue in tribute to Pope Pius VI.
The façade, which is of great interest, is composed of two pilasters superimposed orders: Doric and Ionic downstairs to the top [.
The ground floor of the Palace houses the municipal art gallery for temporary exhibitions, while the Hall on the first floor is used for conferences and public events.
The main feature is that of being deprived of the fourth side in the second half of the 19th century, due to the demolition of Chiesanuova. The square, formerly the Roman pass via Emilia (187 BC), has a roughly rectangular shape. Its architectural feature is the contrast between the imposing Palazzo Comunale (Albornoz Palace) and the Venetian loggia and much more reduced dimensions of the structures opposing neoclassical and eclectic. In past centuries the square has also been called lower square, piazza Maggiore and piazza Vittorio Emanuele.
At the center of the square stands the fontana Masin
The old bridge, or Bridge Clemente, is the oldest bridge in Cesena, and is also a symbol of the city. The bridge crosses the river Savio, in one of the tightest spots of the city.
The original Roman path of Via Emilia crossed the river Savio with a wooden bridge which is more or less in place of the present Ponte Vecchio. Collapsed and always rebuilt, the Roman bridge was eventually replaced by a stone bridge built a bit further downstream at the behest of Andrea Malatesta and completed under Novello. During the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries the bridge was repeatedly damaged by Savio in
Le prime notizie riguardo l'esistenza a Cesena di luoghi preposti alle rappresentazioni teatrali si hanno nell'anno 1503, quando una sala veniva allestita all'occasione con la commedia Filettolo e la sua amante Lisbena nel Palazzo dei Conservatori, e nel 1560 con una commedia in Palazzo Alidosi poi detto Spada. Questa ultima sala, adibita agli spettacoli, continuò ad essere utilizzata anche nel Settecento perché in una nota di cronaca si dice che il 15 maggio 1783 fu per ordine del Marchese Spada 'disfatto' il teatro (Zanotti, carta 68 retro). Si sciolse dall&