Foggia
B 17 °

Discover 17 places to see in Foggia

Admire the most beautiful places of Foggia and add them to your basket. YAMGU will create your trip considering distances, opening hours and weather.


TRIP

Cathedral

The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary assumed into heaven or Church of Santa Maria di Foggiapiù commonly called Foggia Cathedral was built in 1170 in Apulian Romanesque-Pisan influences.

Iconavetere

Foggia's Cathedral is closely linked to the discovery of Iconavetere, a Board that represents a rare Virgin Kiriotissa, whose story merges with that of the birth of the city. According to tradition the image, surrounded by seven veils (hence the name of the Madonna dei Sette Veli), was found in 1062 (other sources report the 1073) by a shepherd in a quagmire, the current Lake square in Foggia.


See details


TRIP

Cross Church-Chapel

The Church delle Croci, also known as the Chapel, part of Mount Calvario.La Church was built in 1693 and was erected on the spot where the Capuchin father Antonio da Olivati planted seven crosses along the route of a penitential procession.
Currently the Church has a portal through which leads to a meadow where are lined five chapels, with crosses in them, and in the background a Baroque style church.


See details


TRIP

St. Francis Xavier Church

The Church's origins date back to the early 18th century. Was ruled by the Congregation of the brothers of St. Francis Xavier awarded. It is in neoclassical style, with the entrance porch of Ionic order. The Interior is on the Greek cross plan; at the Center stands the dome. White neoclassical Colonnade of the Church causes also called Church "columns",


See details


TRIP

Epitaph

The epitaph of Foggia is a monument built in 1651. The name derives from a plaque present on the monument commemorating the completion under King Philip IV of Spain by a reinstates tracks boundaries.


See details


TRIP

Fontana del Sele

Piazza Cavour, pentagonal, is decorated in the Centre by a characteristic fountain called Fontana del Sele ", but more commonly" fountain in Piazza Cavour ", placed in memory of the time when the city was able to qualify, after long years of waiting, of water. As a backdrop to the nineteenth-century piazza there is the elegant neoclassical Pronaos which allows access to the villa. To the right you can see the two domes above the aqueduct pugliese, while to the left is a simple and elegant façade of the building that now houses the University.


See details


TRIP

The provincial Gallery of modern and contemporary art

The Provincial Art Gallery of Modern and Contemporary Art was opened in September 1980 in Foggia. It was initially located in two narrow and not very functional rooms on the ground floor of Palazzo Dogana. In the mid-eighties the role of the gallery, selections of exhibitions, the enlargement and adaptation of space and the type of management were uncertain. Inaugurated in 2003, the new Gallery of Modern and Contemporary Art occupies about half of the ground floor of Palazzo Dogana. It is housed in restored rooms, according to modern museological needs thanks to POR 2000-2006. The purpose of t


See details


TRIP

Museo Civico in Foggia

The Public Museum and the Municipal Art Gallery of Foggia, established on 28th October 1931, are housed in the Palazzo Arpi, in Piazza Nigri. The building is located on the same street named after the ancient city of Arpi, the largest of Daunia. Palazzo Arpi is located near the area where the imperial palace by Frederick II of Swabia was built in 1223. What remains is only a stone archway and the entrance gate - supported by two eagles - made by the famous protomagister Bartolomeo from Foggia, nestled along the side of the Museum in Piazza Nigri. The Museum contains an archaeological section,


See details


TRIP

Museum of Popular Religiosity in Foggia

The Museum of Popular Religiosity of Foggia is hosted in the Church of the Cross crypt (or Big Chapel). It is the only national monument to the city, dating back to 1693 and erected in the place where the Capuchin Father Antonio da Olivadi planted seven crosses along the path of a penitential procession. Later a monumental triumphal arch and the church were erected. The complex was built in the Baroque style, using tuff. Currently the monument shows a triumphal arch-portal through which you enter into a field where five chapels are aligned (of the seven originally planned), covering as many cr


See details