Admire the most beautiful places of Lecce and add them to your basket. YAMGU will create your trip considering distances, opening hours and weather.
Together with the adjacent former Celestine Convent is the highest manifestation of Baroque.
Animals pictured below the balustrade may allude to the Allied Christian powers in the battle of Lepanto: the Dragon was the symbol of the Buoncompagni, family to which belonged Pope Gregory XIII, the grifo Genoa, Hercules would symbolize the Grand Duke of Tuscany, etc.
Among the beautiful decorations you will find the famous "facets" of s. Croce, profiles of men represented probably the signatures of architects architecture
The Metropolitan Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta is the main place of Catholic worship, mother church of the Metropolitan Archdiocese of the same name.
The main façade, rather simple decorative standpoint, has two orders where the statues housed in niches, of Saints Peter and Paul, of Saint Gennaro and San Ludovico da Tolosa. The arrangement of fluted pilasters glimpses that the Church is divided into three naves.
The North elevation, rich and exuberant, has a precise function, having to represent the Church's main entrance for those entering the churchyard. Divided into five parts by pilas
The amphitheatre is located at the eastern edge of the Roman city and dates back to the Augustan age. The monument is elliptical plan with major axis placed in East-West direction and could hold up to 14,000 spectators. Thanks to the excavations made have been recovered numerous marble architectural elements and elements of sculptural decoration of the building, as the "Goblet" capitals and bas-reliefs depicting scenes of venationes.
Piazza Duomo is one of the rare examples of "closed". Once, in the evening, the doors of which are still visible the imposing hubs, were tightened. It is a clear example of Baroque is also evident from the solution, nothing short of "false front".
The architect of Lecce, which worked to harmonize urban furnishing, created at the sides of the Propylaea, the twins, both on the ground floor, reveal smooth ashlars arcature, now partly closed or converted into doors and Windows.
To the left of the piazza stands the Bell Tower by Giuseppe Zimbalo, while the Center and Cathedral, in its rearmost po
The elegant living room of Lecce Piazza Sant'Oronzo, is partly occupied by the Roman amphitheatre of the I-II century AD, unearthed in the early 1900s. In the square rises the colonna, donated by the city of Brindisi to try to adorn the square with the statue of St. Horace, protector of the city. In front of the statue is the harmonious Seat Stadium, old town hall, where the Mayor was receiving citizenship. Next to this building is the Church of San Marco, important evidence of the existence of a colony of Venetian merchants arrived in the city for commercial activities. Another artistic testi
The castello di Lecce is situated on the edge of downtown, more precisely just over East of it, near piazza Sant'Oronzo.
Emperor Charles V of Habsburg in 1539 issued the order to demolish the old Princely bulwark, dating back to medieval times, and to build a new fortress, with the techniques of military architecture. The construction and design was entrusted to the engineer Gian Giacomo Acaya, General of the Kingdom of Naples. The outer part was built between 1539 and 1549. In 1872 was filled the moat that surrounded him, and delete port lifts: "Port Royal", the one that today allows access,
It is dedicated to Saint Irene from Lecce, protector of the city until 1656, when Pope Alexander VII declared the patronage of a Holy Bishop of Lecce: Sant'Oronzo. The altar of St. Irene (1639), which houses nine busts of Saints that surround each depicted religious relics, while overlooking the statue of St. Irene surmounted by the coat of arms of Lecce;
The Church of San Matteo is a place of Catholic worship baroque of Lecce's historic centre, located on via Frederick of Aragon.
Was built in the second half of the 17th century on designs of Achille Larducci di Salò (nephew of Francesco Borromini). It replaced an old 15th century chapel dedicated to the Apostle Matthew, who had an adjoining Franciscan convent. The laying of the foundation stone took place in 1667, by Bishop Luigi Pappacoda, Lecce and was completed in 1700. From 30 April 1810 is the seat of the parish of Santa Maria della Luce, erected on 16 March 1606 in a church outside the