Admire the most beautiful places of Taranto and add them to your basket. YAMGU will create your trip considering distances, opening hours and weather.
The aragonese Castle or Castel Sant'Angelo, occupies with its quadrangular plan and the large central courtyard, the far corner of the island on which stands the old town of the city. The first nucleus of the castle dates back to 916, when the Byzantines started the construction of the "Rocca" in protecting against Saracens and the Republic of Venice.
In 1486, Ferdinand II of Aragon commissioned the architect Francesco Di Giorgio Martini to widen the Castle and to confer the current structure.
The four towers were entitled respectively in San Cristofalo, in San Lorenzo, the flag and the Virgin A
The Cathedral of San Cataldo (or Collegiata di San Cataldo) is the oldest Cathedral, and is located in the heart of the old town of Taranto, commonly known as old town. Dedicated to san Cataldo, Irish Bishop died in Taranto in the VI-VII century, which houses the tomb was built in the second half of the 10th century-during the reconstruction of the city taken by the Byzantine Emperor Nicephorus II Phocas-on the ruins of religiosomedievale building dating to at least the 7th century. In the 11th century, the Byzantine system was remodeled and built the present Cathedral a Basilica. In 1713 the
In the heart of the old town of Taranto, the island where in 706 BC the first colonists settled Spartans, the former convent of s. Domenico Maggiore, built in the 14th century AD and today seat of the Superintendence of archaeological heritage of Puglia. Inside the convent cloister, refurbished between the 17th and 18th centuries and marked by a series of arches supported by columns with Corinthian capitals to angular leaves, wide stretches archaeological area, inhabited since prehistoric times. It is thus possible to observe the Foundation of a temple built on the Acropolis of the Greek colon
It owes its name to the eight heads placed on the edge of the center circle, each representing one of the winds that blow over the city, regulating the climate and navigation at sea: Tramontana, Grecale, Levante, Scirocco, Ostro, Libeccio, Maestrale, Ponente.
The waterfront of the old town, besides giving breathtaking views of the sea, offers inspiration to many legends.
A ceramic Panel of 140 m ² depicts the legend of Greek colonization and the subsequent birth of Taranto. The work is inspired by the myth of the Spartan hero Phalanthus of Tarentum and the response of the Oracle of Delphi requested by him, who ruled: "when you see rain from a clear sky, you gain territory and city." Phalanthus of Tarentum, seeing his wife cry Ethra, whose name in Greek means "clear skies", believed that the Oracle had come true,
Dedicated to the sailors of the Italian Navy, was made of bronze on the course two seas by sculptor Victor of Cobertaldo in 1974.
The sculpture, which is about seven metres high and stands on a pedestal, depicts two sailors in healthy vessels are about to cross the waterway that connects the great sea with the Mar Piccolo, raising upwards the typical hat with the right hand. The work integrates with the old course Due Mari railing on which is engraved a five-pointed star and the coat of arms of the Marina of Savoy, and wants to express the link between the city and the Navy sailors.
The Diocesan Museum of Taranto (MUDI) was inaugurated on 6th May, 2011. The museum is housed in the building that was the foundation of the Archbishop’s Seminary for more than four centuries. The Museum provides a guided tour covering over three floors (36 showrooms) in seven thematic sections, which hosts a collection of more than 300 works of art ranging from the 7th century to the 21st century. The museum, owned by the Archdiocese of Taranto, is a permanent non-profit organisation for the benefit of the community. It is open to the public and aims to preserve, expand and promote the study a
The National Archaeological Museum of Taranto is among the most important in Italy and was established in 1887.
The Museum occupies since its origins the ex-convent of Friars Alcantarine, built in mid 18th century and, following enlargement operations in mid-20th century, the adjacent northern wing body Casson.
Since 1998 work began for restructuring that led to the partial reopening of the Museum to the public on December 21, 2007.
From December 22, 2013 were reopened to the public the new sections of the Museum exhibition devoted to the Roman city, the late antique and early medieval city un