Join this small-group shore excursion city tour of Christchurch, also known as the ‘Garden City’. Departing from Akaroa, arrive in Christchurch enjoying the scenery along the way. Have time to explore the attractions of the central city - and see how the city is rebuilding after the 2011 earthquake.
Once known at ‘the most English city outside of England’, Christchurch is now a city on the move…sometimes quite literally! This small group tour will showcase the best highlights of this unique city from the comfort of your modern, air conditioned vehicle.
Join our bona-fide local guide for a day exploring Christchurch and Banks Peninsula – and see how New Zealand’s 2nd largest city is rebounding after the devastating earthquakes of 2010/11. This is an intriguing tour you won't want to miss.
- Explore the city centre – where the majority of the Canterbury rebuild is taking place. See new buildings spring up, as well as the fascinating renovations on some of the city’s heritage buildings. You will have approximately 2 hours to enjoy the interesting sights at your leisure.
- Upgrade (all at extra cost) and ride the Christchurch Tram, go for a punt on the river, or take a Botanic Gardens tour.
- Photograph the remains of the city’s 2 destroyed cathedrals, and see the temporary cardboard cathedral put up in their place.
- Admire the panoramic views of Christchurch from the Port Hills – with a stop at the historic ‘Sign of the Takahe’ roadhouse.
- Take in the amazing vistas of Banks Peninsula – including the 2 harbours of Lyttelton and Akaroa. Travel along the summit road for extra special views of Akaroa Harbour.
- Enjoy the scenery of Lakes Forsyth and Ellesmere, as well as the Canterbury Plains and Southern Alps on the 90 minute drive to the city.
- Stop at the Hilltop Tavern and Barry's Bay Cheese Factory (time permitting).
Our team has been delivering world-class Shore Excursions for over 16 years. It all started with owner Ian - one man and a beloved Rolls Royce car.
Today, the number of vehicles and tours has changed, but the philosophy hasn’t – every customer is treated like one of the family, and we will make sure you have an unforgettable day. We have over 100 years combined tour guiding experience so you know you are in capable hands (and if you’re lucky you may even get to travel with Ian – he still loves to get behind the wheel!).
Travel in a modern, air conditioned vehicle with a passionate local as your host. We specialise in small groups to allow an intimate and personalised experience. Every tour is guided and commentated from start to finish - our guides delight in showing off our little corner of the world. And, we guarantee to have you back to the ship on time!